So, this week started out like all the others, except things are happening outside! This is my lilac bush and the buds are starting to open! I am SO excited. The pansy's have good color and so do a lot of other things in the yard. (Didn't think you would want to see all the pictures that I have taken.) I am, tho, working on a movie in the fall of my yard from Spring to Fall. That should be cool.
So, on Monday, we decide to go on a road trip. Billie has the day off. Last fall, there was a show on Bill Green's Maine about a bridge in North New Portland. When you drive over it, it ripples! The length of the road. It is a suspension wire bridge. We ALL thought that was cool, so we piled in the car to go see it. We had heard on the local news that morning that KFC was introducing a new chicken
and everyone in the USA could go there and get a free piece! How exciting. We all love chicken, so we hit every KFC along the way. We ate all day long for nothing, except drinks. It was pretty cool and so was the bridge. We got to the bridge and I was too nervous to drive across. So we parked the car at the turn around, (apparently I wasn't the only chicken) and walked across.
So, we get to the other side and a truck comes along. We all scurry to watch. Sure enough the bridge looked like a mini roller coaster while the truck was going across. Then Mike and Mike decide to go get the car and drive it over. While they were doing that, I took a shingle off the bridge and wrote a message of our presence and then replaced it. There was a nice sandy little beach below the bridge and we hung out there for awhile. Mother nature calls. So, I found this flat rock that would look beautiful in my pond, so we took it with us. So, here we are in North New Portland and where do we want to go from here? We decide to go west across the state into New Hampshire to the fireplace. A place in the mountains we usually go on our bikes. We wanted to see the water roaring off the mountain, it runs beside the fireplace. So, we go through Rumford, Mexico and eventually into Bethel which leads to the fireplace. ROAD CONSTRUCTION!!! Through the mountains, they are repairing and widening the roads. We sat in traffic forever! When we finally found the road we wanted, we were all excited and were doing the happy dance. Next thing we know, there is a gate across the road. ROAD CLOSED - BRIDGE WASHED OUT! That was a true OMG moment. So, we never got to the fireplace and had to turn around and drive home. We went over 350 miles just to see a ripple bridge
So, we have been working in our own yard too. This is where the picnic table used to sit. We decided to move the table closer to the cat yard and patch this spot. There is probably 10-12 more spots that I had to patch this year.
So, on Tuesday, was Wendell's birthday. I stopped down to see him and hang out for awhile. We had a nice talk and I can't believe he is 29! That blows my mind and makes me feel very old.
On Thursday, I had to go to Portland for an unemployment workshop. It was 4 hours long and pretty boring, but I got some good tips. I paid attention and took notes. They suggested that you have a business to give to so
me one when you are networking! So today, I designed and ordered my business cards. Then I revamped the resume and looked at other areas online for a job. I found one today I wouldn't mind working at, but it only pays $10-$12 a hour and I have to drive to Falmouth everyday. I went to its web page and it looks like a really nice place to work. Just hope that I am not biting off more than I can chew. We will see.
So, these are more flowers in my yard. Pretty huh? I really like these. When the sun goes down, they close up and when the sun comes out, they open up. They are like a daisy. They are cute.
Well, I guess I have rattled on long enough. Need to go have some down time from the computer. Tomorrow I need to dig a bed for wild roses. Roger and Dian have a ton and hate them. I need to get a bed ready for them and then go to Cook's Corner and dig them up. Put them in the truck and bring them home and plant them. I'll be pooped again tomorrow. But that is what helps me sleep at night. Exhaustion! Love Ya Barbara

2 comments:
Your flowers are pretty and so colorful. We haven't even thought of planting anything yet - it's still so cold here. I will just be happy to have the grass turn green! What is "North New Portland?" I thought it was Portland or South Portland?? I guess I have definitely been away from Maine too long now! Did you see "Oprah" the other day when she had that little island town in Maine on (I can't remember the name, but it began with an "F")?
Brenda
It was Frenchboro - a French town up north of Bangor in the "county". New Portland is not part of Portland at all.
The flowers are beautiful, but I'm sure Doug will allow you to plant real flowers at each end of the headstone as I've seen other headstones in that cemetery with small shrubs and flowers at the ends of the stones. I think they look better as the white plastic pots take away from the beauty of the stone. Great job, as usual - Barbara. Perhaps you should look into working in a greenhouse like your Nana did: you love flowers and heat and you have a way with arranging flowers and plants. Check Skillings on the Bath Rd. This is their busy season.
Post a Comment