Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Our New Garden


So, this is what our front lawn looked like a few short days ago. (Minus the snow and Ice CRAP!) I have a shot of my bird's nest (that stupid bush), but can not seem to find it at this time. So, just an ugly old Forsythia Bush and pretty bad lawn in this area. So, Mike and I decided to spruce things up and get some exercise to boot! Should we decide to sell, this will improve the looks of the place. This whole front corner of the lawn was VERY bare and ugly. It originally was the driveway. Back in the day. We ventured out to make a beautiful garden spot here. Mike got on his hands and knees (as I can't) and started digging! We soon discovered why the grass doesn't grow here. The first layer was heavy packed sod. We removed all the grass and weeds, shook out what excess dirt there was and saved the sod. The next layer was hard packed clay. The next was sand and the next was gravel and boulders. SO, we decided to make a partial rock wall with the rocks. Gravel went into the driveway, and we mixed the clay and sand with top soil and manure that Rhonda has been getting us from her neighbor. It has horse, cow and chicken poop in it and it has set up for 2 years! Perfect and free! Then we started collecting things that were planted around the yard that wasn't doing so hot, because of lack of sun. This spot gets sun all day long! We put the sods of grass in front of the rock wall, so hopefully it will grow there. If not, no great loss. So, in this garden is a saliva, bleeding heart, small blue flower thing, lupines, daffodils, yellow/green hos ta, hyacinths, Iris', purple cone flowers and this lilac tree. Hopefully, everything will take off nicely this year. I'm sure in the spring, it will look absolutely gorgeous. ALL these plants come back year after year. I did leave room for red tulips (when I buy them) a white creeping phlox (when I buy that) and the pretty yellow flower I have planted by the pond. It will grow in and around the rocks and cling to them. That will be another day, tho. My lower back and back of my legs are killing me and Mike is walking like an OLD MAN again! Eventually, the plan is to do a project like this and not be in pain at the end! For now, Tylenol will do. Oh yeah, almost forgot. We bought this fake rock awhile ago at Big Lots and you put your house number in the center of it. It is solar powered and at night the number lights up! Pretty cool, huh? Well that is it for another blog, but stay tuned. I have alot in my brain to put down on paper (so's to speak) and just want you all to know that we are not sitting on our butts doing nothing with this time we have! Ttys Barbara


1 comment:

Laura Brann said...

That is so cool!! What an improvement. I still say you need to get a job as a flower arranger or greenhouse employee. You have a gift...you should use it. Think how your talents with plants and flowers might make someone elses life more pleasant. Good job...get out the Ben Gay and you'll be alright!!