Nona's house and see a sign across the street
from our house. Posted on a tree at the entrance
to the blueberry fields, is "Danger Bees". Oh good. Was my comment. I am allergic to some bee, but we are not sure which one.
Being the nice person that I am, I asked Mike to go over to the blueberry fields and take a picture of the hives. He said he would and I took him up on that. I thought that they would be hives, not boxes! Tons of boxes and a whole lot of bees swarming around. Mike
got the picture and fled quite quickly. He is such a good sport. So this is the picture that he took. He had to walk half way across the blueberry field to get it. They put them way out there! I don't know what they are thinking? That fence is not gonna keep those bees in there~! Ha ha ha LOL!!!
So, these Bees are going to help pollinate my flowers, too! That is cool, but the best part, is the big, fat, juicy blueberries, that we will be stealing this summer! FYI: For all the people who are reading this and think we shouldn't be stealing them, the police officer that lives across the street, comes every time to see if we have gone and gotten some. If not, he always has a full bowl to share with us if we want. What's good for the goose is definitely good for the gander. We will get our share this year. We will eat, freeze and enjoy them. I will send pics when they are ready! Every 2 years, this fields is totally blue from front to back and Mike loves to pick. I say more power to you and I'll do the cleaning and freezing part! 
So this picture was taken in my yard. They are big bees this year and I am amazed at how they can fly on such small wings. Ying-Yang thinks that they are his own personal toys. They fly, he jumps! Last year he got stung by something and the vet thinks he is allergic also, as his paw was the size of my hand, when we rushed him into the vet. So needless to say, I am constantly saying "NO, Ying-Yang, NO"!!!! He is still such a kitten! Well that is it for this blog. Keep your eyes peeled for more to come. I do have a road trip to show you and some pictures of Trent and Julia. Stay tuned!! Barbara



6 comments:
Okay, so I don't get this posting about the bees and the blueberries! Are these wild blueberries? If so, why would you be "stealing" them? Wouldn't it be "first come first served"? If you want some blueberries, just go and pick them? Or am I missing something? And why are all those boxes of bees practically in your yard?! This sounds like a really bad dream or maybe a science fiction movie or something....
But, really, living next-door to a blueberry field would be like heaven on earth for me!
The blueberry fields are owned by a large company up north. 2 years ago, they had someone stay in the field to kick the neighborhood pickers out! They want to keep all their blueberries to sell, but we will get some!
Oh - I've never heard of that before! Here in the U.P., blueberry picking is a much-loved activity during the summer that brings out droves of blueberry lovers who scramble deep into the woods to find the best patches. All the blueberries are there for anyone to pick - you just have to find them and get there before someone else does! I'm assuming the bees help the blueberries to grow? Interesting....but I would not care for that many bees so close to my property. Are there other people who live nearby too? I imagine that would be a justifiable complaint, especially if there are a lot of children, or someone who is allergic to bees....
Blueberries and bees reminds me (yes - I wax nostalgic occasionally)of when Brian was about 4-6 years old and we were out back of Hardings picking blueberries with Richard Crocker's mother and Grammy Swain (at 80 years old!!). Brian stepped on a hornets nest and got bee stings all over his upper body including inside his mouth and ears. We rushed back to Aunt Doris's house to get her car and took Brian to the hospital as he was swollen quite badly. Poor Brian...he had several childhood mishaps like the time Mom hit him in the head with a baseball bat....another day.
I don't remember Brian being stung by bees (obviously I would have been two young), but I remember the baseball bat incident - that was horrible. Poor Brian! My husband, Brian, had that exact "bee incident" happen to him when he was a young boy too (must be a "Brian" thing!).
I don't remember either incident!! Guess I was way too young!!! Poor Brian.
Post a Comment