So, at my Christmas Party, they had 'Free" wine on the tables. They didn't bring that out until I had consumed 4 drinks from the cash bar! They were VERY good! Kudo's to the bar tender. Anyways, each table had 2 bottles of wine, one red and one white. I already knew from the family reunion that I would not like the RED wine. So I bravely tried the WHITE. It was called Chardonnay. I liked it so much that I drank a bottle and a half by myself! Pretty good buzz. (Mike drove home, Ma!) No hangover the next morning, just a little dry! Not so bad. So, for Christmas, Mike bought me a bottle of Chardonnay! He also got me a hand~painted wine glass, with vines and blueberries on it. Very pretty! Well today he asks me if I want a glass of it. I said yes, and this is my story.....True Story.........................................................................................................................
We got out the new fangled wine bottle opener, that the lady sold him with the bottle of wine. . . . . . . . . . So Mike & Billie come by and I say, "are we weaklings? We can't seem to pull the cork out of this wine bottle." So they give it a try! 

So, my Mike, gets a pair of pliers. We are about an hour or so into this operation now! We can not get this cork out to save our soul's! Finally my Mike gets it.
I think all wine drinkers are body builders or something.......HOLY SHIT!!! I mean that in the nicest way, but I don't think I am cut out to be a wine drinker. The workout BEFORE the drink will kill you!!!!
I have also heard that you can make things out of corks you save, like pegboards and cutting boards and such! Not sure what we can make out of this. Also; is wine supposed to have pieces of cork floating by when you drink it?Fiber, I suppose........................................................?
10 comments:
You drank a bottle and a half of wine AFTER you had already had four drinks?? Wow - I'm a non-drinker, but that seems like a lot. If I drank that much in one sitting, they would be scraping me off the floor!
I said Mike drove home! I'm a responsible drinker. . . . . .
Didn't say you weren't a responsible drinker, just said that the amount you drank seems like a lot (which it does). I wasn't aware that Mike doesn't drink also. As long as there is a designated driver, it should be okay.
OK Thank You
I agree with Brenda....did I say that??? That amount of alcohol in one evening is way too much for anyone to drink. However, I know Mike gave up drinking several years ago, so you did, indeed, have a designated driver. I got a bottle of Yellow Tail red wine for Christmas from Pam/Rob plus a 4-pack of 250ml Cabernet Sauvignon and a wine saver pump. Guess they figured Guess they wanted my pantry stocked for the celebration when I die!!! My doctor did tell me to drink ONE glass of red wine a day, but I suspect it will be a long time before I even figure out how to open the bottle - it can be a challenge if you're a novice. The only wine I have had at Pam's house that I have actually liked was a white wine in a blue bottle which we cracked open for Christmas Eve. Both Arlene and I liked that one and Rob was flabbergasted to think he had FINALLY found something we would drink...and like.
The extent of my wine drinking is a very occasional wine cooler on a hot summer day sitting by the lake. And even that is so seldom that I can't even remember the last time I had one. If I can taste the alcohol in the drink, I don't like it! I say the best option is to stick with non-alcoholic wine/champagne, etc. It's a lot cheaper, and you can include the kids (New Year's Eve, etc.). You also don't have to worry about driving home or having a hangover in the morning.
Good Advice!
I think the issue is your wine opener. That didn't look like a very easy one to use. The "waiter's friend" style or the rabbit ones are much easier to use. No, cork floaties are usually bad. Warning, chardonnays have a wide range of quality - some good, some really bad. Some are crisp and others are "buttery". you'll want to figure out the style you like and then find others in that same category.
Thank You Pam, glad that some one got the meaning of the story. In CorkScrews, the more you pay the batter they are? Or just a simple one with handles you push down to pull the cork out? This is all new to me. This bottle was a tad bit more sour than that first one. I don't remember what brand it was. Also, are screw bottles 'cheap' wine. Do I get one that screws or one with a cork? I'm pretty confused! Still don't have a hankering for red wine, though. ;)
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and the family, Barbara!! God bless you with lots of happiness, good health, and prosperity in 2010.
Post a Comment