Saturday, September 12, 2009

Labor Day Week in Maine!

It sure was GREAT to have 90 % of my family together, in one spot, at the same time! (We did miss Brenda & her family, Jimmy, Mike Erskine, Candi and Jocelyn) Some day, I would like to do this again and have the entire family together! We will ALL miss these guys, now that they are gone. We had fun, tho and I hope they did too! Ttys Barbara








































































































































5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Barbara! I wish I could have been there to see everyone and join in the fun. We will have to plan another family reunion, but with several months notice for planning purposes and earlier in the summer or possibly during the holidays for those of us who have kids and husbands in school.

Laura Brann said...

Labor Day week was the perfect time to have the reunion. The weather was in the 70s all week, the tourists were gone,the mosquitoes were gone - except for at Reid State Park - and it worked out great for those who came in from out-of-town. Pam and I would like to make this an annual event in the future. Earlier in the summer involves tourists, heat, mosquitoes, thunder storms for those of us flying, and just not as good. Definitely wouldn't work over the holidays as most people want to be home with their kids, traveling could be hazardous by car or airplane, and can't have any outside activities in the middle of the winter. I honestly think all of us planned this trip perfectly. Good job - Pam and Barbara.

Anonymous said...

Appreciate Mom's comments, but I'm sorry that I must disagree with some of it. Labor Day is not the best time for a vacation trip for those people who have children in school. In Michigan and in many parts of the country, school starts now the day after Labor Day always. It was made a law in Michigan a few years ago. So.....if you guys want to make this an annual event over Labor Day, you can pretty much count our family out period. There is no way Brian and Bradley (or myself for that matter as my job is school-related) can be away when school starts. It isn't even feasible in the first place. Summer is over - why would you take a vacation then? From what Pam said, the mosquitos were terrible anyway, so what difference would that make? So what if tourists are there or not? As far as traveling by plane, it isn't anymore hazardous in the winter than it is in the summer. It's just colder! I would think all of us being together at Christmas would be wonderful. Plenty of outdoor activites, i.e. skiing (downhill and x-country), sledding, skating, snow-shoeing, plus you could do indoor things too. And, as far as it working out great for those who came from out-of-town, they don't have children and spouses that were just starting the school year. This is why earlier in the summer would be ideal because you don't have to worry about that, and the weather is usally fine then too. One last thing - I was under the impression that this trip was planned originally for Pam to go to her siter's wedding which was planned for Labor Day, and the family reunion part was planned later by Barbara when she realized that a lot of the family had decided to be in Maine at that time. I would love nothing more than to be there for family gatherings, but when they are planned, EVERYONE'S schedules and lives have to be taken into consideration to accommodate all of us. Keep that in mind, Mother when you are putting in your two cents' worth.

Laura Brann said...

There were several people there with kids starting school including Lori and Heather. I also missed a week of school...so what? Family is more important than school as far as I'm concerned. As Brian and Pam both said at one time or other during the week - wouldn't want to be in this summer cottage in the middle of December-January. One of the things we all wanted was a cottage by the ocean to enjoy the waves, the gorgeous sunsets, and being away from expensive motels for a week. Sour grapes from one family member can not spoil the fun and enjoyment the rest of us had over Labor day or throughout the week. EVERYONE at the cookout said what a wonderful time of the year it was to have such a gathering, so guess you are the only one in opposition...which doesn't surprise me.
P.S. Where would you put 40+ people in the dead of winter for a family gathering???

Anonymous said...

Mom - out of respect for Barb's blog, I will attempt to be as nice as I can considering your remarks, which I found to be quite arrogant and argumentative. But, be that as it may, let me clarify my previous statements. I am not trying to be "sour grapes" or in "opposition" of anything to do with any family get-togethers! I was clearly making a statement as to why we could not make a family vacation over any Labor Day weekend - period. Would you have taken a big family trip the week your kids started school so that they missed the first day of school? I think not!! Never in a million years. And neither would Pamela if Siena was in school, or any of the other family members. Lori and Heather live right there in the local area or an hour's drive away. That's way different than flying from Michigan, which would involve being away for 1-2 weeks. And, Lori's kids had already been in school for two weeks, plus it was Labor Day, so they had the day off anyway! Also, we just took a family vacation to Colorado two months ago, or did you forget that?? You missing a couple days of college, and Bradley missing the first day of school, and Brian being an elementary principal who HAS to be in school are totally and completely different things. My mention of having a reunion during the holidays was just that - a mention. I, too, would probably not consider that an ideal arrangement. However, it could definitely be done with ample planning. I was more thinking about the earlier in the summer idea. That would be the most ideal for everyone involved, not just you. My thoughts about this issue are not meant to be negative in any way, and I am sorry that you have once again construed them to be something that they are definitely NOT! In the future, PLEASE keep negative comments and remarks to yourself, or hurl them in a different direction instead of always directly at me.